HumSpace Web Hosting SLA
This is a Service Level Agreement (SLA) between the UCLA campus community (Clients) and Humanities Technology (HumTech), documenting the self-service web hosting solution HumSpace that HumTech manages and is provided by Reclaim Hosting. It outlines the service one can expect from HumTech (response times, availability, etc.) as well as the responsibility of those utilizing the service.
This agreement is reviewed January of every year, though changes may occur more frequently.
HumTech offers free self-service web hosting for any Humanities faculty, staff or student to use for UCLA-related work. Instructors can offer web hosting to their non-Humanities affiliated undergraduate students for use in classrooms as well as long as HumTech is informed in advance.
Each account comes with the following features:
- User-defined subdomain (e.g., yourname.humspace.ucla.edu)
- 2 GB of storage (additional space can be given upon request, potentially at a cost)
- Automated weekly backups
- 1-Click installation of applications such as WordPress
- cPanel interface to easily manage files and databases
- HumTech will approve qualified account request with 3 business days unless there is a problem verifying eligibility of the requester.
- HumTech will provide clients with updates as needed regarding the operational stability of the service and report concerns or suggestions for enhanced performance.
- HumTech will provide limited support (see Limitations below), responding to requests in a timely manner.
- HumTech will check in annually with clients to ensure websites are still in use. Websites whose owners cannot annually confirm continued use will be removed.
- HumTech will ensure that Reclaim Hosting is abiding by their standard SLA.
- Clients are responsible for managing and maintaining the content and code of their website unless previously agreed to. “Content” includes, but isn’t limited to, text, images, pdf’s, coding files, applications such as WordPress, and any plugins associated with the application.
- Clients are responsible for any issues on their website that may result from a security update. Coding and programming support will not be provided unless previously agreed to.
- Clients must respond to HumTech’s annual check-in to confirm continued use of website. If no response is provided within 30 days, the website will be removed and archived.
- Clients are responsible for resolving major website security issues to bring their affected website online. For non-major security issues, clients have three weeks to respond to reported security issues to prevent their website from being taken offline.
Web hosting is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, with a target up time of 99%. Regularly scheduled maintenance windows conducting by Reclaim Hosting may result in occasional downtime.
For support request, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For account request, fill out an interest form. Both are reviewed during standard business hours between 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday, excluding university holidays.
Upon receiving a support request, we target the following levels of service on a first-come, first served basis:
- Target response time – within 3 days
- Target resolution time – within 5 days
Account request have a target resolution time of within 3 days.
In the event of an incident that stops HumSpace from functioning, HumTech will work with Reclaim Hosting to immediately resolve the issue. If an individual website stops working, it is the responsibility of the client to manage the resolution of the issue. Clients can send a service request to HumTech who can help on a best effort basis.
- HumSpace is only available to active Humanities faculty, staff and students. Accounts will be deleted within a year after one leaves the university.
- Please refer to UCLA’s Acceptable Use Policy for limitations on how a client can use their HumSpace account.
- We provide the ability to “one-click” install WordPress, Omeka, and Moodle. Any other content management system has to be installed by the client.
- Given that HumSpace is a self-service solution, HumTech only provides limited support. Limited support includes questions about using the HumSpace service itself, one-click applications, WordPress issues, and general training.