- This event has passed.
IDRE Digital Mapping Workshops #1: Got Data?
Dates: April 10, 17, and 24
Time: 2 – 4:00 p.m.
Location: 5628 Math Science/ IDRE Visualization Portal
Have you ever wondered if your research could be mapped? GOT GPS? If so, please join us this April for the Spring 2015 Digital Mapping Workshops and dive into the world of digital mapping to see how to utilize the latest in digital mapping technologies to make your research project come to life.
The workshops will cover methods in Spatial Ethnographic research and will explore the use of GPS devices for generating visually appealing maps in the upcoming Spring 2015 Digital Mapping workshops.
The workshops will cover the basics of conducting spatial analysis through:
- Desktop applications
- Fieldwork methods using GPS devices
- Web and cloud based online applications
The focus will be on using particular location-based technologies, as well as fostering discussions on appropriate technology choices for research projects and how they may impact methodologies.
These “Digital Mapping” workshops are being co-sponsored by the Institute for Digital Research and Education and the Urban Humanities Initiative.
Friday April 10th, 2pm – 4pm
- Got Data? How to map your data
- Learn how to use desktop mapping solutions, mainly Google Earth, ArcMap and QGIS
Friday April 17th, 2pm – 4pm
- GOT GPS? Methods in Spatial Ethnographic research
- Explore the use of GPS devices for generating visually appealing maps
Friday April 24th, 2pm – 4pm
- Mapping for the web? Emerging cloud-based mapping technologies
- Learn how to put your spatial data on the web in dynamic and interactive forms
RSVP online: http://tinyurl.com/dmws2015